Full list of FIFA Best award winners
February 27, 2023
The Best FIFA Football Awards is FIFA’s flagship award ceremony used to recognise the best players and achievements in world football each year.
The nominations were whittled down and superstars from the game were celebrated on Monday night with awards for achievements in men’s and women’s football.
Read on below for all the award winners from the 2022 ceremony in Paris.
The Best FIFA Men’s Player – Lionel Messi
Messi is the major favourite in the men’s category / Richard Sellers/GettyImages
Lionel Messi won having come into the night as the overwhelming favourite after guiding Argentina to World Cup glory in late 2022. His form with club side Paris Saint-Germain has also improved after a tough first season with the French giants.
- Karim Benzema (Real Madrid and France)
- Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain and France)
- Lionel Messi (Paris Saint-Germain and Argentina)
- Lionel Messi named The Best FIFA Men’s Player for 2022
The Best FIFA Women’s Player – Alexia Putellas
Putellas took the women’s award / FRANCK FIFE/GettyImages
Another brilliant season with Barcelona was enough to earn Alexia Putellas her second consecutive FIFA Women’s Player award. Barça were dominant in the Primera Division and she also scored in the 3-1 Champions League final defeat to Lyon.
- Beth Mead (Arsenal and England)
- Alex Morgan (San Diego Wave and USA)
- Alexia Putellas (Barcelona and Spain)
- Alexia Putellas named 2022 Best FIFA Women’s Player
The Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper – Emiliano Martinez
Martinez with a cheeky grin / FRANCK FIFE/GettyImages
Emiliano Martinez scooped the men’s goalkeeper award thanks to his starring role in Argentina”s World Cup triumph in Qatar.
- Yassine Bounou (Sevilla and Morocco))
- Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid and Belgium)
- Emiliano Martinez (Aston Villa and Argentina)
- Emiliano Martinez wins 2022 Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper
The Best Women’s Goalkeeper – Mary Earps
Earps won the first award of the night / FRANCK FIFE/GettyImages
Best Women’s Goalkeeper award-winner Mary Earps has established herself as England’s number one and was dominant during Euro 2022. She also played a major role in Manchester United’s recent emergence under Marc Skinner.
- Ann-Katrin Berger (Chelsea and Germany)
- Mary Earps (Manchester United and England)
- Christiane Endler (Lyon and Chile)
- Mary Earps scoops 2022 Best FIFA Women’s Goalkeeper prize
The Best FIFA Men’s Coach – Lionel Scaloni
Scaloni won gold with Argentina / ANP/GettyImages
Lionel Scaloni was named The Best FIFA Men’s Coach after leading Argentina to World Cup glory in Qatar.
- Carlo Ancelotti (Real Madrid)
- Pep Guardiola (Manchester City)
- Lionel Scaloni (Argentina)
- Lionel Scaloni named The Best FIFA Men’s Coach for 2022
The Best FIFA Women’s Coach – Sarina Wiegman
Wiegman led England to glory at Euro 2022 / James Gill – Danehouse/GettyImages
Sarina Wiegman was the favourite in the women’s coach category and won for a third time on Monday. The Dutch manager helped England’s talents flourish during the victorious Euro 2022 campaign, playing some attacking football alongside more gutsy wins over Spain and Germany.
- Sonia Bompastor (Lyon)
- Pia Sundhage (Brazil)
- Sarina Wiegman (England)
- Sarina Wiegman wins 2022 Best FIFA Women’s Coach
The FIFA Puskas Award – Marcin Oleksy vs Stal Rzeszow
Polish amputee player Marcin Oleksy produced an incredible scissor kick for Warta Poznan and received a message of congratulations from Robert Lewandowski shortly afterwards.
On receiving the award, he said: “It is hard for me to imagine receiving this award and here I am standing in front of you receiving this award for best goal in the world.”
- Marcin Oleksy vs Stal Rzeszow
- Dmitri Payet vs PAOK Thessaloniki
- Richarlison vs Serbia
2022 FIFA FIFPRO Women’s World XI
Renard was in the women’s XI / FRANCK FIFE/GettyImages
England stars dominated the 2022 FIFA FIFPRO Women’s World XI, with Lucy Bronze, Leah Williamson, Keira Walsh and Beth Mead all making the cut.
XI: Christiane Endler, Lucy Bronze, Mapi Leon, Leah Williamson, Wendie Renard, Alexia Putellas, Keira Walsh, Lena Oberdorf, Alex Morgan, Sam Kerr, Beth Mead.
- Four Lionesses named in 2022 FIFA FIFPro Women’s World 11
2022 FIFA FIFPRO Men’s World XI
Liverpool’s Van Dijk made the XI / FRANCK FIFE/GettyImages
Voters went all Marcelo Bielsa with the Men’s World XI, with Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappe, Karim Benzema and Erling Haaland all being included as attackers.
XI: Thibaut Courtois, Achraf Hakimi, Joao Cancelo, Virgil van Dijk, Kevin De Bruyne, Luka Modric, Casemiro, Lionel Messi, Kylian Mbappe, Karim Benzema, Erling Haaland.
- Messi, Mbappe, Benzema and Haaland all make 2022 FIFA FIFPRO Men’s World XI
FIFA Fan Award – Argentina fans
Argentina fans were broadly awarded the FIFA Fan Award in recognition of their support during the nation’s World Cup campaign.
Manager Lionel Scaloni and captain Lionel Messi regularly praised fans for their support during the winter campaign.
FIFA Fair Play Award – Luka Lochoshvili
Georgian footballer Luka Lochoshvili was awarded the FIFA Fair Play Award for acting decisively during an Australian Bundesliga match.
Lochoshvili, playing for Wolfsberger, cleared Austria Vienna’s Georg Teigl’s airways after he swallowed his tongue. Teigl had been knocked unconscious but he was later treated at hospital and has made a full recovery,
- The Best FIFA Men’s Player – Lionel Messi
- The Best FIFA Women’s Player – Alexia Putellas
- The Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper – Emiliano Martinez
- The Best Women’s Goalkeeper – Mary Earps
- The Best FIFA Men’s Coach – Lionel Scaloni
- The Best FIFA Women’s Coach – Sarina Wiegman
- The FIFA Puskas Award – Marcin Oleksy vs Stal Rzeszow
- FIFA Fan Award – Argentina fans
- FIFA Fair Play Award – Luka Lochoshvili